In order to receive an authorisation for placing a vehicle on the market, the applicant (vehicle owner, user, manufacturer, modernizer, contracting entity or their authorized person) shall submit a relevant application through the contact point of the European Union Railway Agency. The application shall specify the area of use of the vehicle where the vehicle is intended to be used, and the application shall be accompanied by documentary evidence that the technical compatibility of the vehicle and the network of the area of use has been verified.
Submission of the application, request and circulation of all information, as well as notification of decisions to the applicant shall take place through the contact point of the European Union Railway Agency.
The European Union Railway Agency evaluates the documents submitted by the applicant regarding the use of the vehicle and its type in the European railway system, in compliance with the requirements of the technical specifications for interoperability and common safety methods. The State Railway Technical Inspectorate evaluates the ability of the applicant to operate safely in the railway system in conformity to national rules.
The following authorisation for placing on the market are determined:
- first authorization (A) (vehicle type authorization and authorization to place the vehicle on the market);
- renewed vehicle type authorization (B) (renewal of a vehicle type authorization if no change to the vehicle type design is required);
- authorisation for extended area of use (C);
- new authorization (D) (the vehicle type authorisation and/or vehicle authorisation for placing on the market after a change of an already authorised vehicle and/or vehicle);
- authorization in conformity to type (E) (authorization to place on the market a vehicle or a series of vehicles which conform to an already authorized and valid vehicle type).
The European Union Railway Agency issues the vehicle authorisation on placing on the market to an applicant who has confirmed its ability to operate safely the vehicle and its type in European railway network.
In the pre-engagement, upon the submission of the applicant, the European Union Railway Agency provides an opinion on the stages of receiving of the vehicle authorisation for placing on the market and the necessary documents.
This is a chargeable service according to Commission implementing regulation (EU) 2018/764 of 2 May 2018 on the fees and charges payable to the European Union Agency for Railways and their conditions of payment.